You have 1 unread mail from the Unaboomer's cabin
As I said in my most recent video several days ago, I am moving (and now am completing moving) into a very rural place to a house/putative homestead which has due to memes been colloquially referred to as "the Unaboomer's Cabin". As I always say, it's not a cabin, but a full house, but this does mean pretty significant lifestyle changes for me and a new page for the channel as well. As I said in the video, I might not be able to easily upload videos for a short while until I get settled, but here are some updates:
- I've moved my stuff to the house and am now going through a life's worth of papers, tools, books, furniture and everything else trying to decorate my house. In addition to my own stuff, there's a lot of furniture and other accouterments that came with the house and there is even more that my dad has been keeping in a nearby shed for extra storage. I'm collocating and organizing all of this
- I have more room than I've ever had, as you would hope. I have three (or depending on how you count four) bedrooms, one of which I'll be using as an office/studio. It will be nice for insomnia's sake to keep my electronics (which are internetless anyway) away from being a distraction in bed!
- I also have lots of land that I need to fully assess. My relative who lived here before didn't have so much of a garden, but did plant and maintain several useful plants (although some I don't even know!). There are definitely unattended grape plants/vines and some fruit-bearing trees.?
- It will be a day or two more before I'm done sorting all my stuff indoors and in the garage/workshop, but after that, the priority is making a garden. Many, including many of you suggested using raised beds, and I think I've decided to try them. It might be late to plant some things, but the growing season this far south is long, so I'll be consulting with some of my growing guides and people around for best practices.
- My internet is truly bad! I haven't even tried to upload videos yet, but text-based and (small) image based browsing is okay. Videos will buffer and will take a bit with youtube-dl. Luckily, I've designed my computer usage over minimizing bandwidth use for a day like this, but I still need to upload videos. I'll figure out the best way to do this soon. I also am going to need to get into the crawlspace to run an ethernet cord to my new office.
- I get no cell service in my house, and am further thinking of getting rid of my cell phone forever. There are other providers with better coverage here though, but I think I might go max-Boomer and just get a landline which obviously is infinitely more reliable.
- It was sad leaving my friends in Statesboro, but I will be going back at some point soon (there of course are things I left behind ;-) and other chores to do). It is nice all the things I do avoid here: like Zoomers blasting that Kanye/Lil Pump song every night at the club across the street. Won't miss that.
More updates and a video soon! I'm answering email a little more consistently now though due to the better workflow I have here though. I only have logged on maybe once or twice today though just for a bit because I'm still very busy.